A rider is an addition to a contract. It provides an artist’s requirements when performing a show at a particular venue. It includes specific requirements with hospitality, security, and technical equipment.
Disclaimer: I am going to say these riders are all “allegedly”…All information I am writing in this post is taken from Google searches and most of this information comes from the website The Smoking Gun.
M&Ms backstage. The brown ones are to be removed.
Fat free bagels and fresh baked muffins…they have to be bakery and not 7-11 muffins. Haha
Guns n Roses
Adult magazines i.e. Playboy and Penthouse are to be purchased for the band.
Jakob Dylan is Bob Dylan’s son?!? I did NOT realize this! I only know the song “ONE HEADLIGHT,” but I LOVE it! Anyway, it says there was to be absolutely no reference to him being the son of Bob anywhere in the venue, marquee, billing etc.
He asks for high quality dishes and utensils. They will use linen napkins only. He tries to not use paper products. Leftover food/drinks taken to local food bank or given to homeless community when possible.
Band wants access to first class gym i.e. Gold’s Gym and they also request tee times for the local golf course.
He wants an American flag on a 3′ x 5′ pole stand that will be on the stage for entirety of show and audience must be able to see it.
One (1) quart of fresh squeezed non-pasteurized orange juice. Health food store not Tropicana or Minute Maid.
Promotor must obtain services of a dry cleaner to prepare up to 30 pieces of wardrobe. The clothes will be dropped off in morning and they are to be picked up same afternoon for each and every show.
Goo Goo Dolls
12 unscented votive candles. 6 pairs of new white tube socks for each show.
He wears a medium size t-shirt and requires 1 pack of white t-shirts w/ pocket, 1 pack of 4 white A-line tank tops size large and 1 pack of white boxers size medium for each show. They are to be Fruit of A Loom or Hanes brand only.
Must be provided a physician to give him a B12 injection before shows.
Required a snooker table (no pool table) with full set of cues, bridge and chalk tracks. The band would provide their own snooker balls.
Mercedes Benz (S-class 600 series) or a BMW 740. It must be armored.
Hootie and the Blowfish
These guys required a lot of liquor. I was blown away…see what I did there???
I tried to get the kink! We all know what a wh*re John is. I love him though. The only thing I saw that was odd was he requested two (2) tubes of original crazy glue.
Also, it was noted in the rider that John would accept small gifts and letters from the audience. They were to be put in the production office or at the side of the stage to be collected after the show and not to be thrown away. Apparently, quite a few bands and acts do not even collect audience gifts/letters.
Must have a separate room for all her wigs.
They drank Beaujolais! That was my drink of choice back in the day!
Printed list of AA meeting locations and times. Also, a 12′ boa constrictor.
20 international phone lines. She travelled with her own furniture show to show to replicate her home living area.
I Am Shocked I Tell You
I was surprised that KISS and Metallica had very basic riders and nothing out of the ordinary. Journey’s rider was also extremely bare bones.
I also checked out some riders for the 2000s and Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Jennifer Lopez are some high maintenance chicks. Their riders are off the hook and freaking ridiculous!
Katy Perry apparently wants to ensure her driver makes no eye contact and doesn’t speak to her. Insert my dramatic eye roll and Reese Witherspoon screaming “DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?” Get over yourself Katy.
KELTIA’S RIDER (Me)
I require the following:
- A gulf cart for my kids to drive around in
- 12 pack of store brand seltzer (under no circumstances will I drink La Croix) ROOM TEMP NO REFRIGERATION
- Keurig machine and 12 keurig pods (Dunkin Donut Original Blend ONLY)
- PRIMO hot/cold water machine with a 5 gallon water
- Sugar free/dairy free french vanilla coffee creamer
- 2 lemons
- 1 large bag of almonds
- 1 bottle of Beaujolais and 12 pack of beer for any guests that may come back stage
- In season fruits and vegetables.
- Starkist Tuna in water (Packs)
- 2 Bags of Tostitos chips w/mild salsa (any brand of salsa)
- Body Armor assortment of drinks (for my kids) REFRIGERATE
- Assortment of soft drinks (Coca Cola products ONLY) and sweet/unsweetened teas REFRIGERATE
- Solo Cups (Not red)
- I will use only paper plates and plastic utensils…NO I don’t care about the environment.
- Bounty paper towels
- Take out/delivery menus from surrounding restaurants
- I will require a runner to be at my management’s disposal for any additional requests. This will mostly be for additional items my kids may need or want. It will not entail anything like DEVIL WEARS PRADA. Anything asked of my runner can be met with a quick grocery trip or shopping strip mall stop.
- @ May 7, 2022 5:42 pm